Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Have Poet, Will Travel. (No Joke)

I exist as I am—that is enough;
If no other in the world be aware, I sit content;
And if each and all be aware, I sit content.
Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman

Those are the words that have inspire me to continue teaching for almost twenty years. I do not teach with the expectation that I am going to get anything from my students or that they even want anything from me other than a grade. I simply offer a space for them to study the self. Some respond. Most don’t. Either way, I’m at their service.

Tonight, I had an AMAZING young man in my writing classes share his voice with us. I am in the last week of my fifth term this year and in the last week we do a writing showcase where nine of my writers share the stage with a pro and together we explore the power of the spoken word and share our lives. This term’s pro was Apollo, the Traveling Poet. Rather than type a lot of words trying to describe what it’s like to watch this talented artist check him out for yourself: (If you're reading this on Facebook you're going to have to click here.)



He is always looking for sponsors for his current quest to bring poetry across America and document his journey.

Afterward, we went to VYBe Poetry Lounge hosted by the fabulous Ms. Wisdom Soul at Oscar Taylors (OTs) for a few more hours of poetry and Jazz accompanied by a former students who read one of his pieces and KILLED THE MIKE. This was the kid’s first gig outside of school performances and he blew all of us away. Several of the other poets gave him props before they read. I sat there full of pride remembering when we worked on his poem in my class and rehearsed his delivery.

Apollo interviewed me earlier this afternoon for his film and asked what I want students to “get” out of my class when they’re done. I told him, “That’s easy. I want my students to know that the power of their words belongs to them and now that they own it, no one can take it away. NO ONE. I want them to decide that if they choose to be here, THEN BE HERE.

Be present in who you are and use the pen & paper & pages of the books you choose to read to help in grounding you in your own voice in order to sound your 'barbaric YAWP' however you see fit."

Tonight two young men help this old teacher up as the power of their words lifted me with the sincerity of their hearts.

Some Photos from OTs

The VYBe
Apollo's third poetry reading session of the day.
A few of the other artists
Camelback Road
Before we left, I fell in love with this piece
that I watched the artist Stevo
paint while the night progressed.
And bought it.

Then I came home and wrote this to you.

“For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.”

Good night.

Peace.

No comments: