Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More Postcards with Music: Coming Home

О, зачем тебя назвали Даниилом?

Все мне снится, что тебя терзают львы!

O, tell me why they named you Daniel?

I keep on dreaming of you mangled by the lions!

Marina Tsvetaeva - Daniel 1916

Auschwitz is a memory. A memory I feel in my bones. Monday I go back into the classroom here in Phoenix. For now, I need a break from my words.

The music embedded in this post is from one of my favorite composers, Max Richter. Richter's album The Blue Notebooks is one of my top ten disks from the first decade of the 21 century. This track, Maria The Poet (1913) from the album Memoryhouse, is what inspired this collection of snapshots. The photos are meant to be looked at with this song playing. If you are reading this in Facebook click here.



Click on the play sign in the album cover above and scroll down.













We have come to know man as he really is. After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips.

Viktor Frankl – Man’s Search for Meaning 1946











Out on the streets where I grew up
first thing they teach you is not to give a fuck.
That type of thinking can't get you nowhere
someone has to care.

The Roots – How I Got Over 2010


Richter has just released a new album entitled Infra. I love it. And for now, he is streaming samples of each track.

Enjoy.



Peace, ZenCowboy

No comments: